Saturday, February 2, 2008

GG2 Intro v. 2 and GG3 Intro v. 2

Ganbare Goemon 2 in English (version 2)

Ganbare Goemon 3 in English (version 2)

The updated GG2 intro was uploaded on January 13, 2008, and the revised GG3 intro was uploaded on January 15, 2008, which would mean these videos were made right before and right after the current semester started, respectively.

I had intended to update the GG2 Intro pretty much since the beginning. Like I said below, it became apparent fairly quickly that I had made some mistakes in the translation and the identity of the speakers. These were some major changes; the biggest one was that Magginesu was no longer "the strange foreigner from the hotel", but "the strange foreigner who set up the lottery." The word I mentioned in the post regarding the first version of the GG2 intro mentioned the word "fukubiki". Thanks to a site provided by the wonderful Sarahsuke (which you can find here), I was finally able to find the meaning to this elusive word (stupid paper dictionary...). Since then, that site has been an invaluable resource to me, as my knowledge of Japanese is still somewhat...lacking. This video also got a theoretical boost in video quality.

The GG3 intro had some less dramatic changes. I made some minor adjustments to the script in order to make things a little more interesting or understandable, and this one also got the stripe subtitles that I've been using in my videos since then.

However, something I got wrong soon came to my attention. The Wise Man talks about why he's going in the future, and I had him accidentally revealing that he wants to "look at the girls", and then he verbally stumbles and claims he is instead going "to do important stuff." The "important stuff" part is actually not a part of the Japanese dialogue. Unfortunately, I had already gotten rid of all the raw video files (the huge amount of memory it was taking up on my laptop was causing some serious fragmentation), so uploading yet another video was not a desirable option. Instead, I mentioned this in the video description on YouTube. This would probably be a good time to mention that these translations are not "word for word", but I try to make them as accurate as I possibly can. I believe that a translation with a few minor mistakes is better than no translation at all.

This was also when I started to notice an ugly problem rearing its head. Both of these videos had a problem where they would skip. The GG2 one wasn't too noticeable (still annoying, though), but the GG3 intro was especially bad; it would only show the first frame of each second. In other words, viewers would miss 29 frames a second, and the fact that a given subtitle wouldn't be up for too long made it very difficult to read. In order to remedy the situation, I put the full scripts in the video descriptions (they weren't that long, fortunately). And then I got to work on two big projects...

No comments: