Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ganbare Goemon 2 Intro v. 1

Ganbare Goemon 2 in English

For organizational purposes, I've decided to include each video in a separate post, with one exception (which you'll see later).

This is the one that started it all. "Ganbare Goemon 2 in English" was uploaded to YouTube on November 4, 2007 as an experiment to see whether something like this could really work and whether it would be well-received. I already had a script for the Ganbare Goemon 4 intro, but I thought it was so bad, I didn't really do anything with it...yet.

To my delight, several loyal members at GI (to whom I owe a debt of gratitude for their support) accepted this video and encouraged me to keep going with the other games in the series. One member in particular, Sarahsuke, offered to help by proofreading my future scripts (as this particular video is chock full of mistakes), and thus, the project was able to move forward.

As I said before, this particular video has some errors with it. Not only did I make some translation mistakes ("fukubiki" is the biggest one; we didn't know what that meant, so I assumed it was the name of a hotel or something), but I often mixed up the speakers of certain lines. You may notice that the speaker of each line isn't explicitly stated, so I usually made an arbitrary choice based on what was being said if it wasn't completely obvious. This was long before I caught on to the distinctly unique speech patterns of each character.

I don't know why a small part of me expected this to be rejected by Goemon fans (inferiority complex, perhaps?). But I'm glad it wasn't, because it gave me the green light to keep going.

No comments: