Monday, March 3, 2008

GG3 - Part 8



Ganbare Goemon 3 (English) - Part 8

And now, I bring you Part 8 of Ganbare Goemon 3, released on March 3, 2008. This is another one that actually has less dialogue than you might think, and (for the most part), I left myself too much time for subtitles again. Oh well. The good news is that it didn't take long to get translated, and this has one of my favorite scenes in the entire game in it. Let's just move on to scene analysis, shall we?

Scene 39: The Continuing Story of the Omikuji Siblings

Kyo: Argh! Your strength is the real deal!
Kichi: Until now, we’ve always been the allies of justice!
Shokichi: But we have to trust Lord Jurokubei to take care of that now!
Chukichi: We are retiring, naturally.
Daikichi: We will return to being the Poor Storytelling Siblings! If you’d like to see us, you’re all invited. Well, that’s it from us!

"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" was changed to "The Continuing Story of the Omikuji Siblings" for the purposes of Ganbare Goemon. Yep, another Beatles song.

Who would've guessed that the Omikuji Siblings used to be "Poor Storytellers"? Wonder what kind of stories they used to tell. Well, they probably weren't any good anyway. Of course, we all know what kinds of stories they're going to tell after this fight. All about how Mean Mr. Goemon (Hey, there's another Beatles reference!) beat them up and constantly made fun of them while doing it.

And if you want to know which color corresponds to each of the Omikuji Siblings, refer to the end of my post for Part 7.

Scene 40: The Door

Goemon: Phew...I’m surprised that they were so hard to handle!
Yae: The base’s door must be towards the north!
Ebisumaru: We have all 8 of the code plates here...
Sasuke: Now we just have to set them in the door correctly!
Goemon: Okay, let’s go give it our best effort!

Blah. I'm in a bit of a creative slump. Give me a break.

I can't think of anything to say about this one. Let's move on.

Scene 41: A Bee Stinging a Crying Face

Yae: Do you suppose this is the door to the base that the hooded halfwits were talking about?
Goemon: Well, this is just a glass ornament!
Sasuke: No, I’m guessing this is a very complicated device.
Ebisumaru: Eh? You think so?
Goemon: Well, if you say so, I guess I have to agree with you.
Sasuke: I’m guessing we have to set the code plates in those dents correctly.
Goemon: Oh, that’s too much trouble! Let’s just destroy it!
Yae: Wait! Attacking recklessly could be dangerous!
Sasuke: Insert the code plates!
Narrator: The green (yellow) button places the code plate. If you think you made a mistake, press the red button to remove it. And press the blue button if you want to stop. Well, try it and do your best!
---
Ebisumaru: I don’t think anything’s happening...
Goemon: Son of a bitch! We’re in a real crisis here!

When you put the code plates in, they read "Nakittsura ni hachi", which is a Japanese proverb that translates to "A bee stinging your crying face." Basically, it means that misfortune strikes when you're least prepared for it. When one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong. Sounds like the story of my life...err, anyway, my thanks go to Sarahsuke for figuring that out.

This is one of those times where the game controls the message speed, so pausing at each new line is highly recommended. Especially the first one. I was forced to put the English onto two lines, because it's there for less than two seconds.

Does anybody else find it strange that the characters fall in the order of Ebisumaru, Yae, Goemon, and Sasuke right after putting the plates in, but when they're actually plummeting it's Yae, Sasuke, Ebisumaru, then Goemon? I don't know, it seems strange to me.

Oh, and I should probably explain what the colors of the Super Famicom buttons correspond to on the Super Nintendo. In the order that they are mentioned:

Green = Y
Yellow = B
Red = A
Blue = X

Scene 42: March of the Impact

Ebisumaru: Whew! Just in the nick of time.
Goemon: This conch shell...no, Impact, saved us!
Yae: It seems like the code plates were a trap set up by the Omikuji Siblings.
Sasuke: I never would’ve expected those idiots to put that much thought into something like this!
Goemon: All right, enough talk! We have to hurry and march into the base of the enemy to rescue Omitsu and the Wise Man from their clutches!
Sasuke: Let’s go, let’s go!

Not much to say here. Umm... Sasuke doesn't really say "let's go" twice, he just says something at the beginning of his sentence that indicates intensity. Yeah, that's about it. Moving on.

Scene 43: Pride, in the Name of Love

Jurokubei: You’ve come at last! But we’ve only been fooling around until now! Now, we start getting serious! Do you honestly expect to be victorious against the Great Jurokubei? Mechanical Formation 16! Go!
---
Jurokubei: Ack! That was too easy for you! I should give you a prize! Time for a different formation: Shishi Jurokubei’s Dangerous Special! There! I’m so sharp and handsome, it’s terrifying, don’t you think? Shishi Jurokubei should win now! Here I go! Agh! Bismaru, you’re getting in the way of my coolness and interfering with my big scene!
Bismaru: L-Lord Jurokubei! How can you say such things? This is a union of love! See! We will proceed by the power of two people’s faithful love!
Jurokubei: Agh! My big scene!
---
Owowowow! Ah! Ah! Yowch! Aaaah!
Jurokubei: Damn it! Bismaru! If you hadn’t come, I would have won!
Bismaru: Lord Jurokubei! Talking about the past like that isn’t going to change anything! First of all, the old man is still a hostage in the building...
Jurokubei: Oh! That’s a good idea!
Goemon: What?! The Wise Man?! Get ready for one more punch! Upper cut! This must be the building they were talking about.
Ebisumaru: Wow, that’s a huge building!
Sasuke: I can’t even guess where the Wise Man would be in there...
Yae: Leave it to me! I’ve got a plan! Get Impact’s arm in there!
Goemon: If we used Impact’s arm, we could all go in there...
Yae: Wait! Trust a woman’s intuition! Aaaaah!

Pride, in the Name of Love...derived from "Pride (In the Name Of Love)" by U2. Simply put, that song kicks ass. Anyway, Jurokubei brings the pride, Bismaru brings the love, and they've both got a ton of it.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite scenes in the entire game. I think Bismaru's sudden appearance makes this scene hilarious. Heh, "union of love" makes it sound like he and Jurokubei are getting married. Sorry, buddy, I know that would probably be a dream come true for you, but it ain't happening.

A lot of Jurokubei's dialogue is really awkward, but that's because it can be difficult to translate all the slang he's using. I think it's all there, though, maybe with a little more, unfortunately.

Notice how Jurokubei refers to himself in the third person a lot. I guess he's so arrogant, he loves hearing the sound of his own name. I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but he also constantly adds the honorific suffix "sama" to the end of his name (Goemon does, too, so maybe it runs in the family or something). Sama is a suffix of great respect, so it's just another sign of how full of himself he really is. I like to put "The Great Jurokubei" as much as possible. Something like "ore-sama" (which just means I or me) is a bit tougher to do something like that. If somebody wants to do me a favor, could they see if "ore-sama" was what was translated as Dochuki's "my illustrious self" in the English version of Goemon's Great Adventure?

I'm pretty sure when Bismaru talks about the Wise Man being their hostage, he's talking about using the time machine to go back to the beginning of the fight and try again. Then you'd get something like what happened in a few episodes of Red vs. Blue, where Jurokubei would go back in time over and over again and keep trying until he finally wins.

So, that's it, I suppose. Just one more video. I'm currently swamped in schoolwork (damn you, midterm exams and reports!), so it'll probably be a while before it's released, unfortunately. The script is ready, but it's gonna be tough to get it up by the weekend. Sorry!

Still no idea what to do next. The likelihood of me writing the companion essay to "AVD" is becoming greater everyday. I'll talk to you guys again later.

(By the way, I think I've got the blog set up so that anybody can leave comments here, even anonymous users. In case anybody's interested.)

1 comment:

Seppukumaru said...

"Goemon: Oh, that’s too much trouble! Let’s just destroy it!
Yae: Wait! Attacking recklessly could be dangerous!"
This part reminds of the bit from the anime (remember it?) When Goemon tries to defuse a bomb by attacking it. Yae grabs him and pulls him away, saying something like, "Stop! Did you take a stupid pill this morning, or something?" XD Thank goodness for Yae, huh?

"Pride (In the Name Of Love)" really does kick ass.

Did anyone ever determine if Dochuki's "my illustrious self" was translated from "ore-sama"?