Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ganbare Goemon 4 Intro

Ganbare Goemon 4 in English

This was a big one. The infamous intro to Ganbare Goemon 4, with English subtitles, posted on November 8, 2007. My curiosity regarding Sasuke being dressed as a woman at the beginning got the best of me.

I had a rough draft of the script in October of the same year, but it wasn't until Sarahsuke offered to proofread the scripts for me a few weeks later that I decided to give this one a try. I fixed it up one last time and sent it to her, and was pleased to find out that it was relatively problem-free, in her opinion. So I got to work putting in the subtitles, using a different style from Ganbare Goemon 2 in English, and uploaded it.

This translation goes against a popular theory (and I use the word loosely) regarding what's happening in this scene. I've read before that it was believed that the giant robot Impact had stumbled upon Planet Impact, where the people worship him as some sort of god. Obviously, my version of the story says nothing of the sort, as Impact describes Planet Impact with a word that is used to talk about one's original home. Therefore, Impact is originally from Planet Impact, which brings up another problem. Didn't the Wise Man build Impact? This one doesn't seem to get an explicit answer, but my hypothesis is that the Wise Man made that story up. The rest of the circumstances regarding Impact's true origins (how and why he came to Earth, the conch shell, etc.) are still shrouded in mystery.

No comments: